One of the most beautiful country homes in England, Adlington Hall, home of the Leghs from 1315 was built on the site of a Hunting Lodge in the Forest of Macclesfield in 1040. Two oaks, part of the original building, remain rooted in the ground supporting the east end of the Great Hall. Between the trees stands an organ built by ‘Father’ Bernard Smith which was played on by Handel and is still operational today. Other rooms include the beautiful oak-panelled Dining Room, Chapel, Minstrels’ Gallery, Chinese room and Number 10 bedroom. The rooms all display original furniture alongside paintings and portraits that bring to life the story of the house and its occupants.
The Gardens, laid out over many centuries, include a Lime walk planted in 1688 and a Regency rockery surrounding Shell Cottage. The Wilderness area includes a Rococo styled landscape garden containing the T’Ing House, a Pagoda bridge and the Temple to Diana. The 60 acres of gardens also include a Rose Garden and Yew Maze. We also have a traditional tea room serving hot and cold drinks with homemade cakes and scones. With a varied events calendar we appeal to all age groups and interests.
Please visit in-line with current restrictions, and check their website before visiting to ensure they are open.